S. Korean Tunnel Dig
    I was a 1st Lieutenant in 1978-1979 and was the Scout Platoon Leader in the 1st Bn 9th
Inf (Manchus).

    Early one morning in Oct of 1978 I was standing on the hill behind Combat Support
Company HQ's on Camp Greaves when I observed a line of about a dozen Huey's
approaching from the south paralleling Freedom Bridge. They were flying very fast and you
could hear the blades chopping the air for speed.

    I knew that they had to have approval to enter the DMZ area and that approval was
given by the Bn Cdr. I found out later that no such clearance was given.

    I watched the helicopters fly by and saw that they held Korean soldiers. They went
almost due north and landed somewhere out of sight. Just after those helicopters were out
of sight I heard the sound of dual bladed choppers in the distance. I saw several Chinook
helicopters flying towards the Libby Bridge area just east of Camp Greaves on the Imjin
River. They disappeared and I suspected they offloaded South Korean soldiers too. Just
about that time I heard a second set of Huey's headed north on the same route the first lift
had taken. It was indeed a second set of South Korean Soldiers.

    Just as they passed my location on the hill my company commander yelled out his door
that he needed me NOW! I ran down the hill and he told me that my driver was ready to
take me to the Bn TOC (a bunker behind Bn HQ's). I got briefed on what had happened.
(When the UN Tunnel intercept team had left the site of their intercept tunneling the night
before, the South Koreans decided to continue to dig without the UN around. They broke
through early that morning and alerted and deployed their soldiers to that site to enter the

    My platoon was alerted to be prepared to backup the South Korean Soldiers. The rest of
the Bn was on standby. I had my gun 8 gun-jeeps loaded and waiting at the gate near the B
Co and CSC messhall gate (normally locked) for an hour. I was finally told to stand-down
because the South Koreans found no North Koreans. The entire Bn was then put on
restricted-to-camp status. The entire Bn was ready to go at a moment's notice.  

Lt Frank Bush
HHC, Scout Plt
1st BN 9th Inf
2nd Inf Div
1978 - 1979