Thank God
There was a time, while stationed with the 1st Bn 12th Arty at Camp snow, that we were told the
North Koreans might start something big. The year was 1968, and the North Koreans would be
caught in the hills around us at times.

We have a few weeks of sitting in fox holes with our weapons ready for action. One night, while in
a fox hole with my M60 machine gun locked and loaded, I had the lord speak to me. No, this is not a
bible moment, it was late and the fox holes were overlooking a farm house around 1/8 mile from my
location. I heard a voice in my head say 'is the safety on?'. I checked the M60 and guess what, it
wasn't set to the lock position as I thought.

I put the saftey on and sat back watching the rice field in front of me. It was time for the other guy
in the fox hole with me to stand watch, so I could rest. I touched him on the shoulder to wake him,
as I did, he jumped up and grab the trigger and pulled it.

I was so glad that the voice I heard told me to check the safety. If not, we could have put 20 or 30
rounds into the farm house.

Submitted By;
Sp4 Aaron Poscovsky
B Btry, 1st BN 12th Arty (HJ)
2nd Inf Div, 1968 - 1969
                           Motor Pool Mess

  I got to Camp Snow in early April 1968, and was assigned to Headquarter to work as the Major's
driver and weapons clerk. I worked there about a week or so before going to map reading classes at
a camp up the road for two weeks.

  Once returning to Camp Snow, I was moved to B Btry as weapons clerk. It was a small room with
M-14s and a few M-60s. After a few days, my lieutenant came into my office and sat down to talk to
me. As a private to have the lieutenant sit and talk to me meant something was up.

  He told me that a problem had come up and the officers in the company wanted to know if I could
help them out. Being a private, the answer is always “Yes Sir”.

  So he starting tells me about the problem, no one, officers and enlisted men didn’t want to walk
near the B Btry Motor Pool, or have to deal with the men stationed in the motor pool. It was that
these fellows didn’t get a long with the others in the unit. He needed me to be their clerk and
correct their book keeping problems. My answer was, “What, you want me to work with fellows that
you officers have a hard time with?”

  His answer was, “Yes”, and he told me he would be by my side when I met them. So we walked
over to the Motor Pool, it was like walking into the back woods of a small town. Trucks siting around
with parts missing, the work area was a total mess, and the office, had papers and books ever place.

  The Sgt of the motor pool was sitting on a chair and working on some paper work, but not at the
desk as the desk was a total mess. The lieutenant said to the sgt, I got you clerk and he ran out of
the room. At that moment the sgt jumped up and ran into the work bays of the motor pool. I didn’t
know what was coming next, was what or I going to be killed!

  The three privates working in the motor pool and the sgt all came running up to me and cheered,
“no more paper work for us”. You get to do the paper work from now on and we are glad. Paper
work wasn’t something these fellows wanted to do, so parts ordering and basic army paper work
wasn’t getting done.

  The fellows were nice, but didn’t think I knew any thing about truck repair, I had to show them.
The First Sgt truck had been used for parts seeing they didn’t know how to order parts for trucks
needing basic parts. I told the fellows, if I get the parts for the truck and put it together, could I be
the driver.

  The fellows said yes, thinking that I couldn’t do it. As I put the transmission in myself and other
parts and started it up a week later I became their friend.

  Within a few weeks I had the office and motor pool working to a point that we pasted every GI
inspection that year.

The sad part of the army is people come and go in a unit, I really miss those guys.

Submitted By;
Sp4 Aaron Poscovsky
B Btry, 1st BN 12th Arty (HJ)
2nd Inf Div, 1968 - 1969