X-Ray/Libby Bridge
Close This Window To Return To Previous Page
Submitted by;
R. Miller (96th FA BN)
for
Lt William Carlson,
96th FA BN
Close This Window To Return To Previous Page
During 1951/52, a floating treadway bridge was maintained at the X-Ray site

2 men were killed during the construction of the bridge. KATUSA Corporal Kim Ho Duk was
killed on 31 January 1953 when a boom failed on a three-quarter-yard Buckeye clam on pier
7. Private James E. O’Grady drowned on 16 April 1953 trying to help a Korean civilian worker
who had become caught in ropes and was in danger of drowning when the boat in which he
was working capsized.
The commanding officer of the 84th recommended that the bridge be named for these
personnel. However, the Commanding General, Eighth Army, directed that the bridge be
named for Sergeant ‘George D. Libby, 3d Engineer Combat Battalion, who was posthumously
awarded the Medal of Honor for gallant conduct and heroic self-sacrifice at Taejon, Korea,
on 20 July 1950.
The Libby bridge was dedicated with appropriate ceremonies on 4 July 1953 by General
Maxwell D. Taylor, Commanding General, Eighth Army, and was immediately put into service
Late in October 1952, the commanding officer of the 84th Engineer Construction
Battalion was advised by the 2d Engineer Construction Group that his battalion was
to construct the highlevel bridge at the X-Ray site. “The Conquerors of the Imjin”
were scheduled for another bout with their old foe. This time the plan called for the
river to be completely overcome before the next flood season began on 1 July 1953.
On 1 November, 1952, work began
A pontoon bridge at the X-Ray site. In the background
can be seen Libby Bridge under construction in 1953
X-ray site in October 52 showing the newly erected Pontoon bridge and the
perpendicular volcanic rock banks.This would later be renamed Libby site
Submitted By;
1Lt Vic Swanson
84th Eng Const BN
Construction Of Libby Bridge
The high-level, steel and concrete Libby bridge at the X-Ray site.
Standing 49 feet above mean low water, remains in use today
Page2
HOME